Some Thoughts on Wisdom from an Elder
Post date: Aug 04, 2019 11:5:18 PM
Wisdom - is the synergy between what we learn when we keep open our eyes open, our minds open and our hearts open. It is important that it is all three and in particular our hearts.
What would I tell a younger version of myself on leadership:
1. Your health (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) wills always be your best ally in the journey of leadership
2. Whatever you train at you will get better at - be mindful of the shadow side to this
3. Don’t be afraid to take risks
4. Don’t over coach
5. Be aware of the seduction in leadership - success can have an evil edge.
6. Be the leader you wish you had.
7. Certain things can catch your eye but pursue only those that capture the heart
8. Find a leadership soul mate and take time to talk about leadership and in particular your own leadership.
9. What is the “Catholic” part of what you are trying to lead. Try and understand what this “Catholic” means to you
10. Find enjoyment
* Identity - this can’t be allocated to just one other person - it is the soul of everything that happens in the institution
* In care situations student protection is important- it is our single greatest responsibility
* inclusion - we are always the gatekeepers and who we enrol says everything about us and what we value
If you want to exclude more have more rules
Michael Senior on retreat at AMEC